Marriage License

The only prerequisite for marrying in Michigan is applying for and obtaining a marriage license and the accompanying health information pamphlet. 

A summary of certain Michigan Marriage Laws is available

How do I know if the person that is marrying me is legally able to do so in the State of Michigan?  Please click on the following link to see what the Michigan regulations are for marriages.

Request Copies of Marriage License

Where to Apply:
If you (or your fiancé) live in Michigan and are getting married in Michigan, you must apply for your marriage license in the Michigan county where you (or your fiancé) live.

If you live in Michigan and are getting married in a different state, you must contact the state where the marriage will occur.

If you (and your fiancé) live outside of Michigan, but are getting married in Michigan, you must apply for your marriage license in the county where the marriage will take place.

Applying for a license:
There is a 3-day waiting period for marriage licenses.  Marriage licenses are valid for 33 days, and are non-refundable.

Applications for a Marriage License can be submitted in person or through the mail. 

Applying in Person:
Applications must be completed and signed in front of a clerk.  Both parties must be present to complete the application and may be required to show their IDs. 

Applying By Mail:
Please contact the Clerk’s office to request an application, instructions and health information.  The application must be signed by both parties in front of a notary public and returned to the Clerk’s office with the appropriate fee.
Or click link to down load application-but remember IT MUST BE SIGNED IN FRONT OF A NOTARY AND NOT MORE THAN 30 DAY BEFORE THE CEREMONY. 

Completing the Application for a Marriage License:
You will need the following information for the bride and groom:
  • Full Name (F, M, L)
  • Bride’s Maiden Name (if applicable)
  • Present Age
  • Date of Birth
  • Address
  • County of Residence      
  • Number of Times Previously Married
  • Birthplace—City & State
  • Father’s Full Name
  • Mother’s Full Name Before 1st Married
  • Father’s Birthplace City & State
  • Mother’s Birthplace City & State
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of Marriage
  • Officiator &/or Location of Ceremony
  • Telephone Number where Bride or Groom can be reached for questions.  
Fee (due at time of application):

$20 Dickinson County Resident(s)
$30 Non-Dickinson County Residents

Method of payments accepted:
    • Cash,
    • Local Dickinson County check (no Out of County checks),
    • Money order
    • MasterCard/Visa*
*Credit card payments must include:  Full Name on Card, Card Number & Expiration Date (MM/YY), 3-Digit V-Code & Billing Address.

Please make checks and money orders payable to: “Dickinson County Clerk”.

Minor Applicant:
If the applicant is 16 or 17 years old, their custodial parent(s) must accompany them to the Clerk’s office at the time of application to sign a waiver.   

Courthouse Ceremonies:
For information on courthouse marriage ceremonies, please contact District Court  (906 774-0506) or Probate Court (906) 774-1555. 

Social Security Cards:
Included in the information provided to you with your marriage certificate is a Social security card application.  Please fill this out and send it in to the Social Security Administration.  Information on filling it out is on the following pdf : 
Our local Social Security Administrations address is:
   1013 1st Ave. North
   Escanaba, MI 49829

home page contact calendar