- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a Michigan resident or maintain a place of business in Michigan;
- Be a US citizen or possess proof of legal presence;
- Be a resident of the county in which you request appointment;
- For non-Michigan residents, maintain a principle place of business in the county where you request appointment;
- Read and write in the English language;
- Be free of any felony convictions within the past 10 years;
- Have not been convicted of 2 or more misdemeanor offenses involving a violation of the Michigan Notary Public Act (2003 PA 238) within a 12-month period while commissioned, or 3 or more misdemeanor offenses involving a violation of this act within a 5-year period regardless of being commissioned;
- Not be imprisoned in any state, county, or federal correctional facility.
How do I apply for (or renew) a notary?
You must appear in person at the County Clerk’s Office with your picture ID to:
- Submit a completed application.
- Application forms are available at the County Clerk’s Office or ONLINE (download the form in a pdf format)
- Submit a $10,000 surety bond (available through insurance agencies or bonding companies) to be kept on file at the Clerk’s Office.
- Submit the appropriate fee (See below).
- Once you have fulfilled the filing requirements at the county level, you must forward your completed application (with a $10.00 non-refundable processing fee) to the State of Michigan at the following address:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Blvd.
Lansing, MI 48918
Do not send cash; please send a check or money order payable to the "State of Michigan".
- To ensure that your appointment is accurately made without delay, please print or type your name as you wish to be commissioned on line 3 of the application. Your signature must match the name that has been printed on line 3 as your commissioned name. This is the signature that you will use when notarizing documents. If your signature is not legible, please print your name next to it so that we are assured that line 3 and your signature match.
- To avoid delays in processing your notary public application, please be advised that your current address must match on both the application and your driver's license or personal identification card that you have on file with the Secretary of State.
- The fee for filing at the county is $10.00. Acceptable forms of payment include:
- Local Dickinson County Check (no Out of County Checks)